Plaque Recognizes Historic Site of Tiger Company Fire Hall
July 4, 2013
This morning, a plaque was unveiled outside of Victoria City Hall to recognize the important role the Tiger Company Fire Hall played in providing fire protection to Victoria's downtown from 1880 – 1899. Acting Mayor Pamela Madoff, Fire Chief Jeff Lambert, and Ted Alexis, President of the Victoria Fire Department Historical Society participated in the plaque's unveiling.
During the late 1800s, the Tiger Company was one of three fire companies dedicated to protecting Victoria's growing business district. Their hall was built on the southwest corner of Victoria City Hall.
The entrance to the Tiger Company Fire Hall was located at the far left arched doorway of City Hall which fronts the Pandora Avenue sidewalk.
The Tiger Company Fire Hall housed firefighters, the four horses that pulled their rigs, and the Victoria Fire Department's first turntable apparatus that was equipped with a 20-metre (70-foot) aerial ladder, four ground ladders, two roof ladders, two fire extinguishers and assorted firefighting equipment.
On January 1, 1886, the City of Victoria assumed responsibility for the fire department. Its volunteer firefighters, which included the Tiger Company, Deluge Company, and the Union Hook and Ladder Company, were replaced with paid firefighters, with the volunteer companies serving as unofficial reserves.
The Tiger Company Fire Hall was renamed the Victoria Fire Department No. 1 and served citizens for more than a decade. In May 1899, it was replaced by a new and much larger Headquarters Fire Hall on Cormorant Street (now Centennial Square) and remained in use until 1959.
The next time you're visiting City Hall, check out the Tiger Company Fire Hall plaque.
Learn more about the Victoria Fire Department Historical Society.Go to Top