Reducing Speed Limits Within the City of Victoria
December 10, 2014
Starting this week, the City of Victoria will begin to implement reduced speed limits in areas throughout the City. 40km/h limits will be in place for:
- Richmond Road between Fort Street and Crescent Road;
- Southgate Street;
- Quadra Street;
- Bay Street between Blanshard Street and Richmond Road, and Esquimalt Road and the Point Ellice Bridge;
- Douglas Street between Belleville Street and Dallas Road;
- Gorge Road;
- Richardson Street between Cook Street and Gonzales Avenue;
- Within the area of Victoria described in the Official Community Plan as the Downtown Core, except for Blanshard and Douglas Streets.
Public consultation occurred this past summer and the Streets and Traffic Bylaw was recently amended to reduce the speed limit along these Victoria streets from 50km/h to 40km/h.
Additionally, a reduced speed limit from 50km/h to 30km/h will be made on Cook Street between Southgate Street and Dallas Road. Victoria residents and drivers can expect to see new speed limit signs posted in the coming months.
Victoria is known for its vibrant town centers, livability and strong, diverse neighbourhoods and strives to make the community safe for people of all ages to walk, cycle and drive to and from school, work and leisure activities.Go to Top