Reducing speed limits within the City of Victoria
July 8, 2014
On Thursday, July 17 a Special Council Meeting will be held to hear public input about reducing speed limits on some streets within the City of Victoria.
Special Council Meeting
Thursday, July 17 at 7 p.m.
Victoria City Hall, Council Chambers, 1 Centennial Square
Members of the public are invited to attend and address Council during the meeting, or submit feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, July 16.
Input received will help inform whether or not changes will be made to the Streets and Traffic Bylaw to reduce the speed limit on specific streets within the City of Victoria boundaries.
Council will consider the following changes to the Streets and Traffic Bylaw at the July 17 meeting:
Reducing the posted speed limit from 50 km to 40 km for the following streets:
- Richmond Road between Fort Street and Crescent Road
- Southgate Street
- Quadra Street
- Bay Street between Blanshard Street and Richmond Road
- Douglas Street between Belleville Street and Dallas Road
- Gorge Road
- Richardson Street between Cook Street and Gonzales Avenue
- Within the area of Victoria described in the Official Community Plan as the Downtown Core
Reducing the posted speed limit from 50 km to 30 km for the following street:
- Cook Street between Southgate Street and Dallas Road
Currently, under the Motor Vehicle Act, a municipality may establish a default speed limit of 50 km/h. To vary this speed limit, the municipality must pass a bylaw and post signs on all affected streets.
Visit the Transportation page for more information.Go to Top