Summer Tips to Keep Your Green and Grey Bins Clean
July 16, 2014
Summer Bin Care Tips
Here are a few tips to help keep your green and grey bins clean this summer:
- Rinse your bins after every collection day with water and vinegar.
- Always use certified compostable bags or paper bags with your green bin. This helps to reduce moisture. Biodegradable and plastic bags are not accepted.
- Adding extra crumpled newspaper to the bottom of your bin will also absorb moisture and ensure your bin empties fully on collection day.
- Keep your bins out of the sun, except for collection day.
- Sprinkle baking powder into your green bin to reduce odors.
- Freeze leftover meat waste and other higher odor compostable materials in large ziplock bags or ice cream tubs and them empty them into your green bin just before collection day.
For more information about the Kitchen Scraps and Garbage program click here.Go to Top