Meet the Mayor's Task Force on Economic Development and Prosperity
April 20, 2015
The City of Victoria has identified “Creating Prosperity Through Economic Development” as a key objective in its new strategic plan for focus and investment over the next four years. Moving quickly, City Council has created the Mayor’s Task Force on Economic Development and Prosperity, comprised of community leaders in tech, tourism, labour, green business, commercial real estate, and community and regional economic development. The task force was announced at an informal gathering this morning at theDock: Centre for Social Impact.
The role of the task force is to consult with community stakeholders to develop recommendations to City Council on how the City can best use its available resources and act as a partner to fill downtown retail and commercial vacancies; support start-ups, “scale-ups” and business relocations to Victoria; foster entrepreneurship; support job creation in particular for college and university grads who want to remain in Victoria; and to support social enterprises and community economic development initiatives. One outcome of the City’s strategic plan is to establish an economic development office or office of small business services by the end of the year.
The task force is chaired by Mayor Lisa Helps, and includes Councillor Margaret Lucas and the following local idea makers and business visionaries:
- Suzanne Bradbury, Co-Owner/Manager, Fort Properties
- Nicole Chaland, Director, Simon Fraser University’s Community Economic Development Program
- James Coccola, Provincial government employee and community volunteer
- Jill Doucette, Owner/Founder, Synergy
- Dallas Gislason, Economic Development Officer, Greater Victoria Development Agency
- Dan Gunn, Chief Executive Officer, VIATeC
- Scott Gurney, Owner, 17 Black Entertainment Ltd., event production company
- Darlene Hollstein, General Manager, The Bay Centre
- Robert Jawl, Director, Jawl Properties Ltd.
- Tony Joe, Realtor/Past Director and President, Victoria Real Estate Board
- Ken Kelly, General Manager, Downtown Victoria Business Association
- Peter Kuran, President and Chief Executive Officer, UVic Properties
- Paul Nursey, President and Chief Executive Officer, Tourism Victoria
- Liam Scott-Moncrieff, Graduate, Pacific School of Innovation and Inquiry; 2015/2016 University of Victoria Engineering Student
- John Wilson, Chief Executive Officer/Principal, Wilson’s Transportation Ltd.
Members of the Mayor’s Task Force on Economic Development and Prosperity were appointed by City Council and will deliver recommendations to City Council by the end of June.
Task Force Member Bios and Photos
Learn more about the task force members:Go to Top