Celebrate Vic West Park Improvements with Free Family Fun
June 5, 2017
You're invited to celebrate a new playground, fenced dog park and skate park improvements in Vic West Park.
The City is delighted to host a free family-friendly day of events this Saturday, June 10.
Highlights will include: Free Parachute ice cream, sponsored by Bayview Place, two side by side inflatable slides, visits with PATS Pets Therapy Dogs and information about dogs currently available for adoption by the SPCA , an opportunity to participate in Volunteer Victoria’s Art Day mural project and the annual VeeDub Skate competition. The Vic West Lawn Bowling Club, which operates in the park, is also offering free mini lessons and tours throughout the day.
Community Celebration Details:
Where: Vic West Park, (between Esquimalt Street, Wilson Street and Bay Street)
When: Saturday, June 10
- VeeDub Skate Competition 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Official Park Opening and Ribbon Cutting 11:30 a.m.
- Community Park Celebration 12 noon – 2 p.m.
- Picnic Zone, Free Ice Cream, Food Booths, Kids Inflatable Zone, Paws in Parks Stations, Art Zone
- Lawn Bowling Club Open House 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
In 2015 the City of Victoria asked Vic West residents what park improvements they would most enjoy. This feedback was used to prioritize these upgrades:
- The new playground includes two play features, one for younger children and another designed for kids age five to 12. A new natural play area with sand and logs and a picnic table.
- The fully fenced off-leash dog area includes a double gate to keep dogs safe as they enter the dog park. A water fountain for people and dogs and new benches make the space more inviting.
- In the skate park, the original bowl has been replaced with two new bowls with over ten elements including a transition pyramid, pump bump, steep bank extension and a transition extension.