Two Teenage Brothers Receive Victoria Fire Department's Citizens Meritorious Service Award
May 25, 2018
Congratulations to Sam and Finn Parker, two teenage brothers who were presented the Victoria Fire Department’s Citizens Meritorious Service Award today for their lifesaving efforts when they evacuated their family and tenants from a fire in their Fairfield home at 1150 McClure Street in March.
On March 19, 2018, 16-year-old Sam Parker and his 13-year-old brother Finn were at home enjoying their first day of spring break with their three-year-old brother Jasper and grandmother Jacqui Edison. Their father Mike McComb was at work and their mother Jess Edison had stepped out to the store.
It was late morning when Sam smelled smoked and went into his living room to see the curtains on fire. He picked up Jasper and ran out the house to place him safely in the backyard. Despite Sam trying to douse the flames with a fire extinguisher, the fire spread. He yelled “Fire” to alert Finn and his grandmother, who tried to call 911 but there was no dial tone on the landline.
Finn also tried to put out the fire using pots of water but smoke quickly filled the house. Sam and Jacqui ran out the back door to grab Jasper, while Finn ran downstairs to alert the tenants of the fire. By then, neighbours had gathered on the street and several had called 911.
The Victoria Fire Department received the call about 11:50 a.m. and arrived to see the front porch engulfed in flames. Approximately two dozen Victoria fire fighters responded. Despite the best efforts by the boys and the Victoria Fire Department, the home was destroyed by the fire. (Photo: Finn Parker left, Sam Parker on right)
The Citizen Meritorious Service Award recognizes citizens who have rendered outstanding and selfless service in support of fire safety, particularly, the preservation of life and property. Persons deemed worthy of this award are nominated in writing to the Deputy Fire Chief. Established in 1987, the award was last issued in 2017.Go to Top