Victoria Housing Strategy Open House Events April 15 & 16
April 10, 2019
The City of Victoria’s Strategic Plan identifies a suite of new housing initiatives aimed to increase housing affordability and provide support for renters.
Guided by priorities identified in the Strategic Plan, stakeholder input from a recent Housing Summit held in March, and community input, we are revising the Victoria Housing Strategy to create a roadmap for achieving improved housing affordability.
You are invited to learn more about key priorities identified for the updated Victoria Housing Strategy at two upcoming open house events:
- Monday, April 15 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 16 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Both events will take place at Victoria City Hall (1 Centennial Square)
During the open house events the community will learn more about housing actions identified for the Housing Strategy and provide input as well as recommend new actions for consideration.
Housing priorities currently identified by the City include:
- Investing $1 million in the City’s Housing Reserve Fund in 2019
- Investing an additional $545,000 in 2019 on a suite of initiatives to encourage and incentivize more affordable homes for people, especially families, as well as look for further opportunities to simplify and accelerate the development process for affordable rental homes
- Consideration of a grant program for secondary suites and affordable garden suites, including those that are accessible and serve an aging population
- Assigning a Tenant Housing Ambassador at City Hall to make it easier for renters to navigate the Tenant Assistance Policy, Standards of Maintenance Bylaw and other programs to support renters, being considered in 2020
- New measures to encourage more diversity in housing types for families, seniors, and working individuals
More public input opportunities on specific initiatives in the Housing Strategy are planned to take place over the coming year.
For more information, visit the Victoria Housing Strategy webpageGo to Top