Building & Renovating

Many straightforward construction and renovation projects can proceed right to submitting the necessary application forms. This includes when the zoning for the property already meets the desired use, and it does not require a development permit process. 

Click here to see if the zoning for your property is in line with the desired use.

Click here to see if your project requires a development permit process. 

When you are confident your project doesn't need to go through, or has successfully completed, a rezoning or development permit process, you can apply for the necessary permits.

The links below provide information on when certain permits are required and how to apply for them. If you need assistance with deciding if or which permit you need, email

Building Permits

Building Permits are required before starting a construction, renovation or demolition project. Find out if your work needs a Building Permit and how to apply for one.

Plumbing Permits

Plumbing Permits are required when adding fixtures and altering plumbing systems. Find out if your work needs a Plumbing Permit and how to apply for one.

Electrical Permits

Electrical Permits are required for electrical contractors or homeowners completing electrical work. Find out if your work needs an Electrical Permit and how to apply for one.

Sign Permits

A Sign Permit is required to erect signage or complete a signage project. Learn how to apply for a permit.

Blasting Permits

Blasting is the controlled use of explosives to alter existing topographical conditions. Learn about blasting restrictions and how to apply for a permit.

Request an Inspection

Inspections are required to make sure that the work described under a permit matches the work that is being done. Find out how to request an inspection.

Accessing Permit Records

Permit records can be useful when purchasing property or planning a renovation.

Construction Waste

Learn about the Demolition Waste and Deconstruction bylaw

The following construction types are generally permitted without a rezoning or development permit process:

Secondary Suites

Secondary suites are permitted in single-family homes and generally do not require rezoning or development permits.. Learn more about qualifying and apply for a secondary suite.

House Conversions

A house conversion allows an existing house to be converted into a different use. Find out about regulations and restrictions for house conversions.