A Blasting Permit is required prior to all blasting. Blasting in the City of Victoria is regulated under Blasting (Construction) Operations Bylaw – Bylaw No. 06-008.
Blasting is the controlled detonation of explosives to alter existing topographical conditions. Blasting is subject to the following:
- Blasting must be carried out on weekdays, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. or Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. It is prohibited on Sundays and holidays.
- Blasting companies are required to notify, in writing, all properties located within a 100-metre radius of the blast area. This notification outlines the: duration of the project, expected date of blasting, signals to warn of impending blast, contact information for the blasting company
- A Blasting Permit requires the blasting company to provide evidence of third-party public liability and property damage insurance in an amount not less than $5 million for any claims which may arise from the proposed blasting.
Blasting Permit Applications
Apply for a Blasting Permit through MyCity.
Please contact a Permit Services Representative at 250.361.0344 or email email@example.com if you need additional information on the Blasting Permit process.
Blasting Concerns, Information & Resources
- Please call the blasting company as per the notice provided by the blasting company. They will be able to answer questions or concerns on specific blasting projects.
- Safe blasting practices are enacted and enforced by WorkSafeBC. Please contact WorkSafeBC (Victoria) with any safety concerns.
- Noise Bylaw (Consolidated) – No. 03-012
- City of Victoria Noise District Map [PDF/1.8MB]