Before starting work related to your project, you must obtain a Building Permit. The Building and Plumbing Regulation Bylaw regulates the construction, alteration, repair and demolition of buildings and other structures within the City of Victoria. Additionally, the B.C. Building Code 2018 is in effect.
A Building Permit is required before starting work on:
- a new building - each building or other structure to be constructed on a site requires a separate building permit
- demolition (removal) of buildings
- replacing structural components of existing structure - i.e., stairs, decks, beams, posts, load bearing walls, etc.
- interior alterations of a building - i.e., tenant improvements, floor plan alterations, mechanical system alterations etc.
- alterations to life safety systems, such as fire suppression, fire alarm alterations
- changing the use or occupancy, refer to A-18.104.22.168.(1) Major Occupancy Classification. This includes creation of suites (secondary suites) and new or changing businesses
- finishing undeveloped spaces such as basements, attics, garages, crawlspaces, etc.
A Building Permit is not required for the following:
- accessory buildings less than 10 m2 in building area
- replacing existing finishes such as carpets, flooring, cabinets, countertops
- replacement and maintenance of the following with like for like materials: cladding, roofing, windows and doors
- retaining structures less than 1.2 metres in height
- platforms less than 0.6 metres above grade
Building Permit Applications
Permit applications may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact a Permit Services Representative at 250.361.0344 if you need additional information on Building Permit submission requirements.
Any applicable Development Permits must be issued before applying for Building Permits. The City facilitates a pre-application meeting with staff at your request. This meeting can be a tool in the planning process and helps to expedite the building permit application process. Please contact the Permits and Inspections staff for more information or to book an appointment.
If you require an inspection, you can submit an inspection request online via MyCity.
The following checklists will help you prepare all the documents required for your application:
- Complex Building Checklist (New Projects, Additions, Excavations and Exterior Alterations) [PDF/398KB]
- Complex Building Checklist (Interior and Change of Use) [PDF/303KB]
- Single Family Dwelling or Duplex Checklist (New Projects, Additions and Exterior Alterations) [PDF/377KB]
- Single Family Dwelling or Duplex Checklist (Interior Alterations, Change of Use) [PDF/397KB]
- Interior Strip Out Checklist (All Buildings) [PDF/233KB]
- Demolition Checklist (Building Removal) [PDF/299KB]
The following forms may be required to submit your application:
- Building Permit Application Form [PDF/426KB]
- Revision After Building Permit Issuance Form [PDF/149KB]
- Fixture Hydraulic Load Calculation for Water Service Pipe Form [PDF/220KB]
- Solid Fuel-Fired Appliance Installation Form [PDF/67KB]
- Permit Package Information Forms [PDF/196KB]
- Deck Example Plans 2013 [PDF/434KB]
- Fire Alarm System FAQ [PDF/140KB]
- BCBC F3 Declaration [PDF/148KB]
- Glass Guards in Part 9 Buildings [PDF/29KB]
- Climatic Data [PDF/23KB]
- Demolition Waste and Deconstruction Bylaw [PDF/269KB]
- TECA Checklist for Forced Air Systems [PDF/338KB]
- TECA Checklist for an HRV [PDF/336KB]
- TECA Checklist for CRV Systems [PDF/337KB]
- TECA Checklist for Exhaust Fans & Passive Inlets [PDF/336KB]
- Stormwater Management and Codes of Practice
- Low Carbon New Buildings