Secondary suites can help with mortgages and increase the amount of housing in Victoria. Secondary suites are permitted in single-family homes.
A suite is considered legal when:
- all required building, plumbing and electrical permits have been approved
- all work has been completed and inspected
- a final Occupancy Permit has been issued by the City of Victoria
Building a Secondary Suite
Check to see if your property is eligible for a secondary suite
Review the rules of your zone by consulting the Zoning Regulation Bylaw. If you are unsure of your zone, you can look up your address of VicMap. The City’s Development Services staff can assist you in determining your home’s eligibility.
Review the applicable bylaws, guidelines, and codes
- Secondary Suite Design Guidelines [PDF/302KB]
- Zoning Regulation Bylaw
- British Columbia Building Code
- Summary of recent building code changes
Apply for a Building Permit
When all permits are in hand, you are ready to build.