Community Association Land Use Committees (CALUC) are an important part of the land use application process.
One of the main roles of the CALUC is to facilitate the dialogue between applicants and the community in order to identify and resolve issues (both positive and negative) regarding land use applications. Applicants are required to contact the applicable CALUC representative to initiate this process.
The procedures for processing rezoning and variance applications require that the CALUC host a Community Meeting on all proposed Rezoning applications in order to ensure the community is notified about proposed land use applications. This process is detailed below.
City staff and the CALUC representatives will be pleased to assist with any questions.
Community Association Land Use Committee (CALUC) Contact and Consultation List
Click here to view contact information for each Community Association Land Use Committee [PDF/122KB]. If you are interested in joining, please contact the appropriate association.
Rezoning and Official Community Plan Amendment Process
This process involves three main steps. For ease of understanding, this process is displayed in three stages below.
- Pre-application Process
Prior to the City accepting an application for rezoning or Official Community Plan Amendment, the proponent must present the proposal at a community meeting.
- Application Submission and Review Process
After the community meeting, the proponent can submit an application to the City. Once a complete application is accepted, the review process begins.
- Council Deliberations
For a more detailed step-by-step guide to processing a Rezoning application, refer to the Rezoning Process Flow Chart in the package.
Variance Application Process
Development Permits with Variance, Development Variance Permits and Heritage Alteration Permits with variances are also referred to the Community Association Land Use Committees for a 30-day review period.
- Community Association Land Use Committee (CALUC) Contact and Consultation List [PDF/122KB]
- Community Meeting Notice Form
- Community Meeting Feedback Form
- CALUC Terms of Reference [PDF - 1.9 MB] [PDF/488KB]
- CALUC Procedures for Processing Applications [PDF - 126 KB] [PDF/156KB]
- Role of Developer, Council and Staff in CALUC Processes [PDF - 78 KB] [PDF/78KB]
- Glossary of Planning Terms [PDF - 18 KB]
- Principles and Guidelines for Involving CALUCs in Broader Project and Policy Initiatives [PDF - 106 KB] [PDF/106KB]