Special Event Permits

Victoria is a vibrant city which hosts a range of events, from world-class competitions and festivals to block parties and weddings.

You are required to submit a permit application if you plan to host an event in a City-owned public space.

Please review the following information to confirm the requirements for your event. If you have any questions about the application process, please email our Arts, Culture and Events Team.

Apply for a Special Event Permit

Special events include any celebration, festival or gathering in a public municipal space.

  1. Complete the Special Event Permit (SEP) Application.
  2. Please note General Liability Insurance in the amount of $5 million is required for all events. The certificate of insurance must list The City of Victoria as an interested party and must be submitted to the Arts Culture & Events staff for review before a permit will be issued.
  3. If necessary, complete the Festival Equipment Loan Form.
  4. If necessary, submit a Temporary Entertainment (Electrical) Permit application through MyCity.

Please note that applications require a minimum of four to six weeks notice. A minimum of eight weeks notice is required for events that require a road closure or multi-day park closure. 

The following information is not required for your application, but may be useful when planning your event:

Additional Permits

Find an Outdoor Venue

There are several outdoor locations in Victoria that can be used for concert, band or choir performances. 

The Cameron Bandshell, also known as The Stage in the Park, is an outdoor performance venue located in the middle of the City's beautiful Beacon Hill Park. The venue can be booked by any non-profit organization. 

Centennial Square is a dynamic public square for people of all ages to gather. Centennial Square is available for bookings, but no sound equipment or site services (power and water) are provided. 

The Arts, Culture and Events Team can help you decide which location might be best for your event.