There are 15 leash-optional areas and three pilot leash-optional areas in Victoria. These areas each have specific times when responsible dog owners can exercise their dogs off-leash. Off-leash areas have a dispenser stocked with biodegradable doggie bags and a trash bin. Visit the Park amenity search to find leash-optional parks. or view the list of leash-optional areas and times [PDF/1.4MB].
Please follow these simple rules when taking your dog off-leash:
- have control of your dog at all times
- pick up after your dog
- keep your dog on leash outside designated leash-optional areas
- stop your dog from running into or jumping up on people
Please note that no dogs, other than certified assistance dogs, are allowed in the following areas:
- a small area of Beacon Hill Park (the heron rookery), located south of Goodacre Lake
- Ross Bay Cemetery
- Gonzales Beach and Dallas Road Waterfront beach between June 1 and August 31
- Pioneer Square
- playgrounds with sand, rubber, or wood chips
Spear grass is a wild plant that thrives in the type of dry soil found in many green spaces during the summer months. The pointed seeds can become tangled in animals as they walk through the grass. To help your four-legged friend avoid spear grass, keep them out of tall, dry and grassy areas. After a romp outside, brush their paws, ears and eyes.