In the City of Gardens, there are many ways to enjoy green spaces, parks and naturals areas
2022 Year of the Garden
The City of Victoria has proclaimed 2022 as the Year of the Garden and June 18, 2022 as Garden Day, part of a national celebration of everything garden, led by the Canadian Garden Council.
Victoria is proud to be a garden friendly city and is known for its amazing plant and flower displays, progressive urban food initiatives and innovative horticultural practices that help our community adapt to a changing climate. Gardens and gardening contribute to quality of life, increase local food security, clean the air and water, and create welcoming places where people can come together.
The City supports the development of garden culture and is proud to have:
- A City nursery facility that produces over 175,000 amazing summer and winter plants and horticultural displays and will celebrate the 85th year of the City's Hanging Basket Program in 2022.
- The Growing in the City program comprised of several initiatives that support urban food production on public and private land including community and boulevard gardens, and the Get Growing, Victoria! initiative that provides food seedlings and garden materials to people in need.
- Several new horticultural management and park design initiatives intended to adapt to a changing climate and advance reconciliation with the Songhees and Esquimalt People, on whose homelands the city is located.
How will you celebrate the Year of the Garden? We invite you to visit a local park and explore plant life, start a boulevard garden, learn more about pollinators and native plants, join a community garden, or participate in exciting new Growing in the City workshops and programs. You can also follow the City of Victoria’s social media channels to learn more about what our horticultural professionals are doing throughout the year and for helpful tips and plants to try in your own garden.
Latest Park News
- Get Growing, Victoria! Wins BCRPA Program Excellence Award
- Topaz Park Sport Field Gets Funding Boost
- Year of the Garden Kicks Off With Two New Community Gardens
- Construction Underway on Songhees Park Expansion
- Construction Underway on Topaz Skate and Bike Parks
Current Park Improvement Projects
- Songhees Park Expansion Project
- sč̓əmaθən/Peter Pollen Waterfront Park
- Topaz Park Improvement Projects (Overview)
I Want To…
- Find a park by neighbourhood or in Vic Map
- Find a park to walk/run my dog off-leash
- Find a sports field
- Get a permit for a special event
- Find a community garden
- Urban Forest
- Parks and Open Spaces Master Plan
- Residential Branch Chipping
- Residential Leaf Collection
- Growing in the City
- Trees in Cities Challenge
- Park Furnishing Dedication Program
- Natural Area Management
- Boulevard Maintenance
- Parks Regulation Bylaw