The award-winning Get Growing, Victoria! program supports communities in need through partnerships with non-profit organizations. The City of Victoria program helps distribute seedlings and soil-building materials to residents who face barriers to growing their own food.
Partner organizations support communities through their programs. Programs include horticultural therapy, gardening and food access programs for community kitchens that support people with disabilities.
About the Program
The seedlings are grown in the City nursery in Beacon Hill Park and distributed in partnership with community organizations. The program has been in operation since 2020. Each year, the City distributed 100,000 seedlings in partnership with 67 organizations, and delivers over 700 cubic yards of soil-building materials.
Organizations interested in accessing materials Get Growing, Victoria! in 2024, please contact the Parks Department at email@example.com.
For more information about each seedling variety and tips for seedling care, visit Growing Together.
Frequently Asked Questions
Thank you to our amazing recipient organization who help ensure the success of Get Growing, Victoria! We are proud to partner with First Nations and approximately 50 organizations that provide a variety of community services, such as:
- mental health and addictions organizations
- community centre operators
- neighbourhood associations
- mutual aid groups
- emergency food access organizations
- social service organizations
- subsidized and supportive housing organizations
- environmental stewardship organizations
- public health organizations
- greater Victoria School District
- school and community gardens
Thank you to our neighbourhood partners for ensuring smooth and safe collection events, including:
- James Bay Neighbourhood Association
- Oaklands Community Association
- Burnside Gorge Community Association
- North Park Neighbourhood Association and Victoria Immigrant & Refugee Society
- Fairfield Gonzales Community Association
- Fernwood Neighbourhood Resource Group
- Government House and Friends of Government House
- South Jubilee Neighbourhood Association
- Victoria West Community Association and Victoria West Food Security Collective
- Yates Street Community Garden
- Quadra Village Community Centre
Growing in the City Grants
Learn more about the various City grants that support community-led gardening program. City grants support community and boulevard gardening, food tree stewardship and Get Growing, Victoria!
Get Growing, Victoria! is the winner of the BC Recreation and Parks Association Program Excellence Award. Read the BCRPA article about the impact and importance of the program: Award-Winning Victoria Gardening Program Sows Seeds that Feed and Connect. Get Growing, Victoria! is also the winner of the Social Impact Award in the 2022 Ecostar Awards. This award recognizes outstanding environmental achievements and leadership on Vancouver Island.