Report a Bylaw Violation

Complaints are often resolved amicably between neighbours. Bylaw Services recommends each party attempt to resolve issues before contacting the City. 

To report a bylaw violation, please fill out the following form. This form is only for incidents within the City of Victoria. We are not able to respond to incidents in other municipalities. To confirm which municipality you live in, visit the Capital Region District map. Please contact the municipality where an incident is occurring. Please note, accurate and detailed information is required to investigate a bylaw violation.


Other Information


Bylaw Services does not attend to parking complaints. For parking-related complaints, please contact Parking Services at 250.361.0260.


Bylaw responds to noise complaints between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., seven days a week. Bylaw will follow up with complaints made outside of these hours the next day. If noise is too loud or unbearable outside of these hours, please contact Victoria Police Service's non-emergency line.

Illegal Dumping

Bylaw Services only responds to reports of illegal garbage disposal on public space when:

  • there is a witness to the incident
  • the suspect or offending vehicle information is available for follow-up

In all other instances, please contact Public Works for removal at 250.361.0400 or email

Privacy Information

To assist with processing your submitted complaint, your personal information is collected. The legal authority to collect this information is included in sections 26(b) and (c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

The City treats collected information as confidential. The City will not release information to the public or the person under complaint unless ordered by the Provincial Freedom of Information Commissioner or a court of competent jurisdiction.

The City uses ReCollect Systems Inc. to manage the collection of your personal information. ReCollect stores your encrypted personal information for up to 30 days on a U.S.-based server located in Virginia. Once the City has stored your complaint on its own servers, it is deleted from ReCollect’s server.

Please contact the Information Access and Privacy Analyst at for more information.