Saturday Garden Waste Drop-off
City of Victoria garbage collection customers can drop off their garden waste on Saturdays (except holidays) year-round at the Public Works Yard at 417 Garbally Road, from 7 a.m. - 2 p.m.
February 13, 2021 Garden Waste Drop-Off at the Public Works Yard will be closed due to anticipated snowfall. It will re-open on Saturday, February 20 from 7 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Saturday Garden Waste Drop-Off During the Pandemic
The City's garden waste drop-off program for Victoria residents has measures in place to allow safe operations and physical distancing. The service is available to residents of Victoria from 7 a.m. – 2 p.m. every Saturday.
City staff will be present at the garden waste drop-off to direct traffic but residents will need to unload their own garden waste. Staff will direct residents where garden waste can be unloaded while maintaining a safe physical distance.
This approach strikes a balance between continuing to offer the garden waste drop-off service, while allowing staff and residents to practise safe physical distancing. Please prepare for longer than usual wait times.
Other garden waste composting options remain available to the public at:
- Hartland Landfill (#1 Hartland Avenue - 250 360 3030) weekdays and Saturdays
- Ellice Recycling (524 David Street - 250 386 4342) weekdays, Saturdays and Sundays (no cash payments)
- MacNutt Enterprises (1410 Alan Rd by Interurban Camosun College - 250 479 6560) weekdays and Saturdays
Accepted: leaves, branches, grass
Not accepted: rocks, sod, soil, stumps, or branches greater than 1.8 metres (6 feet) in length or 50 millimetres (2 inches) in diameter
Please note: Proper disposal of invasive plant and vine species is a critical step in stopping further spread of seeds or plant material that is able to reproduce vegetatively. To safely remove your invasive plants, you need to bring them to the regional disposal site. Before you do this, please plan carefully:
- Place all plant and vine parts in garbage bags
- Label these “INVASIVE PLANTS”
- Take your bags to Hartland Landfill at 1 Hartland Avenue
Invasive plant and vine material should not be disposed of through the green bin program or through plant material drop-off at Garbally Road yard. Improper disposal through these two options could result in further spread of invasive plant material to our natural environment.
Garden Waste Drop-Off:
- To reduce the wait time caused by seasonal higher drop off volume, if possible, please consolidate your loads and come every other weekend
- To facilitate lining up safely, please access Garbally Road from the Jutland Road intersection
- There is a single truckload limit at the Garden Waste drop-off
- Also, please arrive before 1:30 p.m to ensure that your yard waste can be collected before 2 p.m.
Thank you for your understanding.
Public Works Yard webcam:
If the line-up on the Public Works Yard webcam below shows vehicles lined up to outside the gate, you can expect to wait up to 15 minutes to dump their yard waste. Generally, the maximum wait time to dump yard waste at peak hours is approximately 20 minutes. Please note If you check the webcam at 1:45 p.m. and the lineup of vehicles is to the gate already, it’s very unlikely you will get to dump your yard waste before the yard closes for the day. Please note, the webcam is only available between 7 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Saturdays.
Garbage Drop Off
Garbage drop off is no longer available at the Public Works Yard.
Please click here to learn about other extra garbage disposal options.
Learn more about Residential Leaf Pick up.Go to Top