Cannabis Businesses

All cannabis retail stores require a Provincial licence to operate in Victoria

Cannabis retail stores are regulated and enforced by the BC Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch under the Cannabis Control and Licensing Act.

Cannabis retailers must operate in a location zoned for cannabis sales and obtain a Cannabis Business Licence from the City of Victoria.

The BC Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch will notify the City of Victoria when an application for a cannabis retail store licence is received and forward it to the City for their recommendation.

The City's Cannabis Retail Store Licensing Consultation Policy and Fee Bylaw establishes a process for the City to provide a recommendation to the Provincial Government for a cannabis retail store licence application referral, and related fees. The Cannabis-Related Business Regulation Bylaw will be amended to align with the Province of British Columbia’s Cannabis Control and Licensing Act.


All storefront cannabis retailers must be zoned for cannabis retail sales.

  • Review the requirements in the Storefront Cannabis Retailer Rezoning Application
  • City staff are available for a pre-application meeting to discuss the rezoning process.
  • An appointment is required to submit a rezoning application, and only complete applications will be accepted
  • The rezoning process typically takes six to eight months from submission, and may require more time
  • The fee for a Cannabis Business Rezoning Application is $7,500

For more information please contact Development Services at 250.361.0382, in person at the Development Centre in City Hall, or at

Business Licence 

All cannabis businesses must obtain a Cannabis Business Licence.

  • Review the requirements in the Cannabis - Retail Business Licence Application
  • Cannabis Business Licences will not be approved until the Rezoning Application is approved
  • The Business Licence fee is $1,500 for storefront cannabis retailers. 

For more information please contact Business Licensing in person at City Hall or at

Related Documents