Electrical Permits

The Electrical Safety Regulation is in effect. All electrical work that is subject to the BC Electrical Code must be in compliance with the current edition. Effective October 1, 2022, the current edition includes the Canadian Electrical Code, Part I, 25th Edition, Safety Standard for Electrical Installations and Canadian Standards Association Standard C22.1-21.

Read the Information Bulletin

An Electrical Permit is required prior to starting work on the following:

  • wiring new receptacles or switches
  • replacing existing lighting fixtures and baseboard heaters
  • removing part of an electrical system
  • temporary entertainment or construction service
  • any work that requires a utility (BC Hydro) to connect or reconnect a service
  • any electrical work on life safety systems

Electrical Permits are not required when:

  • replacing a lamp of up to 347 Volts to ground with a lamp of a similar type or rating
  • replacing a fuse of up to 750 Volts with a fuse of a similar type or rating
  • replacing the following regulated products, up to a maximum rating of 150 Volts to ground, with electrical equipment of a similar type or rating: cord attachment plugs, receptacles, snap switches, ballasts, dimmer switches, fan speed controllers, thermostats, overcurrent devices

No Electrical Permit is required if the only electrical work performed is testing.

Electrical Permit Applications

To apply for an Electrical Permit, you must be a registered electrical contractor or a homeowner. If you are applying as a homeowner, you must meet the requirements of the current Safety Standards Act and the Electrical Safety Regulation.

The application process depends on the type of Electrical Permit you are applying for. There are two ways to submit an application:

  1. Apply online via MyCity for:
    • Installation Permits
    • Annual Entertainment Permits
    • Temporary Entertainment Permits
    • Operating Permits
  2. Homeowners apply via email to electricalpermits@victoria.ca for:

If you are unsure of which permit you need, see Technical Safety BC for information and descriptions of the different permit types.

Fee Schedule

If you require an inspection, you can submit an inspection request online via MyCity.

Additional Forms, Policies and Resources